Exercise and Your Mental Health

Exercise and your mental health 

Recently, I wrote about how meditation can change your life. Today, I want to follow up with another part that will change your life. If you follow me or know me, you know I am an exercise freak. Yes, I am one of "those people" who get up at 5 am every morning to exercise for an hour and a half. I don't remember a time that exercise hasn't been a part of my life. 

I walk every day, I ride my bike, I rollerblade, I do exercise classes, lift weights, or do yoga during the week. I love to be active for my physical and mental well-being.

So when I broke my arm two years ago, I was once again laid up for 8 weeks. No exercise for 8 weeks, and I have to tell you what they say is true. Exercise helps your mental health. For me, it's my stress relief. It's like brushing my teeth. Something I need to do every day.

And yes, those eight weeks were hell for me. I was in pain, stuck on the couch every day after work, and did not want to socialize with friends because of the pain and the depression. The more time I laid on the couch, the worse I felt mentally.

But when I got the all-clear from the doctor, I finally got to get out and walk around my lake. I had my headphones blasting my favorite music, and I was jamming, walking/dancing around the lake. With a big shit ass grin on my face, not caring what anyone was thinking of me.
This crazy ass lady walked and danced around the lake for three and a half miles.

I was in the zone, out in nature, doing what I love to do. I felt better than I have in months. I'm telling you this because this is what a little exercise can do for your mental health, so imagine what a little more could do.

So today, my friends, I'm here to tell you to get out, be in nature, take a walk, ride your bike, just do something. I swear it will make you feel better. Because exercise is connected to your mental health. And like Nike says... just do it.
"Be the change you want to see,"
@TreadmillTreats 

Comments

Popular Posts